Youth Basketball League Rules:
Governed by OSAA rules with the following exceptions:
All coaches will be held responsible for insuring that they themselves, their players, and their spectators do not engage in any unsportsmanlike behavior, either physical or verbal.
The referee’s decision is final. We will back our officials 100 percent, and feel that it is completely unacceptable for parents to challenge the official in any way.
Please remember that the goal of this league is to provide the best possible environment for the children, so please keep their best interests in mind at all times.
Teams: Boys and Girls will play on separate teams and will play in their own leagues. If an area cannot field a team of each gender they may enter a coed team in the boy’s league only. If an area has multiple boys or girls teams they will should be broken up as evenly as possible.
On the court:
- Teams play 4, 10-minute quarters with running clock.
- Last two minutes will be played "stop clock" if the game is within 10 points.
- There will be 1 minute between quarters.
- Halftime is 5 minutes
- The clock will stop for time outs.
- Half court Man-to-Man defense only. (No full court press. No zone.)
- A zone press/trap is a zone
- Helpside man-to-man is not a zone
- A matchup zone is a zone
- Double teams out of a help situation are allowed, but if players are waiting in trapping zones, this is obviously a zone.
- If a team is playing an illegal defense it the ball will be awarded to the other team, but no foul will be called. (unless the ref feels that the coach is telling his team to play illegal defense, at which time a technical foul can be awarded to the coach)
- Fast breaks are allowed, although cherry picking is not.
- Relaxed 3 second rule. Referees are encouraged to verbalize 3 seconds, but not blow the whistle until 5 seconds have elapsed in the key.
- Game ball size shall be 28.5
- Free throws will be shot from the 12 foot line.
- Each player will play equal playing time unless that player has exhibited disrespect, poor attitude, or has violated any other team rule or policy. If a player is being held out of the game for any reason the coach must put a note in the official game book to that effect.
Newport Parks and Recreation - Sports - (541)-574-5453