General League Rules
1. Age: Competitive: Players must be at least 18 years of age by the first scheduled league game. Players ages 16 to 18 are permitted with signed parent/guardian consent and signed liability waiver. No exceptions!
2. Player/Team Restrictions: Players are restricted to playing with one team. There will be a team roster limit of 18 players. Substitutions must occur within the limit of twelve (12) on the batting order.
3. Eligibility: A player who is not on the team roster and plays in a game is an ineligible player and may be suspended for at least one game. Any protested game that such player took part in will be an automatic forfeit loss.
4. Adds/Drops: Coaches must always officially add a player or drop a quitting or injured player from the team roster. Failure to do so could result in eligibility problems. New players must sign the roster at the Newport Recreation Center, and must have played in at least 5 regular season games in order to be eligible.
5. Game Times: Schedules of game times will be available at the Recreation Center and on the website. If the schedules can reasonably accommodate variations without affecting the overall fairness of the schedule, then it may be altered. Coaches must make a written request for exceptions when they register their team. Once the schedules have been printed, there will be no schedule changes except where both coaches agree to a rescheduled day or time.
6. Rained‑Out Games: Rained-out games will be rescheduled when possible. Game day status of possible rainouts may be obtained by calling the Parks and Recreation Department at 265-7783 after 3:00 p.m.
7. Coaches' Responsibilities:
a. Coaches will take every measure to ensure that players arrive on time for games, conduct themselves as good sports and follow all rules and regulations.
b. Player Supervision: A coach is charged with the responsibility of his/her players conduct before, during, and after games. No team member will violate city, state or federal laws. Specifically, alcohol consumption is prohibited on or around the playing field. No player will engage in violence, threats of violence, abusive language, or in any way hinder the playing of the game. Offenders face ejection from the game, league, and/or field.
c. Control of Fans: A coach is expected to control any spectator who is unruly or distracting when that spectator is involved with that coach's team.
d. Meetings: Coaches or their representatives are expected to attend all league meetings.
e. Roster Maintenance: A coach is responsible for submitting an official league roster and for keeping it current using the add/drop procedure and for submitting the fees prior to the deadlines. Teams are required to keep up-to-date copies of their roster and produce them upon request from league officials.
8. Team Conduct: A code of conduct applies to all teams and players who participate in the softball programs offered by the City of Newport. By their participation, players imply that they will abide by this code upon registering for the league.
a. Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated before, during, or after a game, on the field, off the field, or in the stands. Infractions will result in ejection from a game, suspension for the remainder of the season, or permanent suspension from City sponsored leagues.
b. The Parks and Recreation Department has the authority to remove any person from City ball fields for drunkenness, obnoxious or threatening behavior, disturbing the peace, or failure to properly supervise their children. Contact with the police department will be made if necessary. No fees will be refunded when a player has been ejected for the remainder of the season.
Men’s League Rules
(ASA Rules with the below Newport Rules)
11. Shoes: No steel cleats.
12. Halo Rule: A pitchers box will be marked on the infield around the area of the pitching plate. The "halo" will be an area that will extend two feet on each side of the plate and extend no more than three feet above the pitcher's head (will be umpire's judgment). Any ball that is hit in the air that doesn't touch the ground prior to reaching the front edge of this area will be an automatic "DEAD BALL." DEAD BALL = AUTOMATIC OUT. No runners will be allowed to advance and will be made to return to the last base legally touched prior to the pitch. The pitcher is not protected if the ball is hit outside of the Halo Zone.
Newport Parks and Recreation - Sports - (541)-574-5453