|Citizens Police Academy
The Newport Police Department holds biennial sessions of the CITIZENS POLICE ACADEMY. Our next Citizens Police Academy will be in the Spring of 2014.
Our last Academy began on March 7, 2012, and ran through May 9, 2012. This class was full.
What is the Citizens Police Academy?
The Newport Police Department is hosting its Citizens Police Academy for those who would like to learn about and experience the inner workings of the Newport Police Department. There is no charge for this academy.
The Academy consists of ten Wednesday class sessions beginning March 7, 2012, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Class graduation will be on May 9, 2012. All classes will meet at the Newport Recreation Center.
Topics to be explored include the following:
- Department organization
- Patrol operations/Community Service Officers/Records
- Procedural law regarding probable cause, arrest, search and seizure
- Traffic law and enforcement
- Selection and hiring process.
- Firearms introduction
- Investigations of crimes against persons; property crimes; child abuse; domestic violence; internet crimes against children; homicide; narcotics crimes
- Vehicle pursuits
- Use of force, including TASER
- Civil disturbance response
- Detectives/Narcotics investigations
- K-9 operations (general patrol and narcotics canine)
- Newport PD Volunteer Program
Newport Citizens Police Academy Schedule (Enrollment for the Academy will be open very soon. Please check back.)
- 3/07/12 Week 1 - Introductions; Recruiting, Testing, Hiring & Training/Volunteers; ............................... Photo for ID badges
- 3/14/12 Week 2 - Overview of the Criminal Justice System; Laws Of Arrest
- 3/21/12 Week 3 - Patrol Operations; Community Service Officer; Records Division
- 3/28/12 Week 4 - Search & Seizure; Domestic Violence
- 4/04/12 Week 5 - Narcotics Investigations/Drug Dog Demo
- 4/11/12 Week 6 - Traffic Enforcement
- 4/18/12 Week 7 - Detective Division; Crime Scene Investigation
- 4/25/12 Week 8 - Use of Force; Prisoner Control; Suspect Interrogation
- 4/28/12 .Saturday - Firearms Safety; Shooting Demonstration; Participation Shoot
- 5/02/12 ...Week 9 - Firearms Safety
- 5/09/12 Week 10 - Community Policing; Graduation (Council Chambers)
Newport Police Department - (541)-574-3348
Tipline - (541)-574-5455